BALLPARK HISTORY

Ballparks are full of history. They each have thier own distinct features, The bricks and ivy in Wrigley, monument park and the mystique of Yankee stadium, the warehouse at Camden, the green monster at Fenway, and more, but when you go to a park its more than to see the game, its to take in the environment. As much as I dislike it, part of going to Turner is listening to the fans do that tommohawk chant. I also enjoy seeing the statues or plaques of players who have contributed to all that history.

Each ballpark also gives you a different perspective of the game. What might be a HR at one park is just a fly ball in another. The site lines, angles and views of a game vary from park to park, even if your sitting in the same general area. Also the in game extras , like the mascot races, or singing the stretch at Wrigley, Sweet Caroline at Fenway, or the 7th inning God Bless America at Yankee stadium.

Another great thing about parks is visiting the local bar near the stadium. Harry Carays and Murphy's in Chicago, Pickles in Baltimore, Hockeytown Cafe in Detroit, Hooters in Anaheim, Rock Bottom Brewery in Denver (and Cinci), Harpoon Brewery in Boston, and Billys sports bar in the Bronx.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Busch Stadium III, 2010

#14
Busch Stadium
This was the last of our 3 game trip for 2010. I have talked about the look of a stadium as you approach it. This one is sweet. I love the red brick and the small details are nice. Its also cool that there is an elevated crosswalk right across the street which makes for a great place to take pics. The statues spread across the front and the clubhouse shop are sweet. I was surprised that I saw almost zero Cubs stuff for sale there. I saw more in KC than in Busch. I'm sure there are a lot of Cubs fans that live in the area, plus they visit there 3 trips a year. Overall this was one of the nicest parks I have seen. The Cubs won 9-7 and took the series. Too bad we cant beat the Bucs and Stros!

Busch Stadium
The views from everywhere in the stadium were great. You can see the arch in the background from almost everywhere, except the outfield bleachers, while watching the game. It gives you something to look at between innings. Site lines were fantastic. We moved up around the 8th inning to about 8 rows up right near 3rd base. We went over there for a few pics and the usher said, "just go sit down there if you want" and we didn't want to disappoint her. The game was a sellout but a lot of empty seats. Maybe due to the heat, and the fact that the Cubs are not in the race. Plus a lot left early. The Cards fans were very cordial, but I did see a lot of "Cubs bashing" t-shirts. I wonder if they wear them all the time or just to Cubs games?I also saw a lot of mixed couples, you know half Cubs half Cards.

Busch Stadium scoreboard
The scoreboard here was pretty nice. Lots of detail around it, Including all their pennants above it on the right. I have to be objective when I go into enemy territory I guess, and it didn't bother me, but when I look at it now, I have to admit it makes me jealous. They also have their retired numbers under the main board, including the microphone for Jack Buck. The clock with the Bud and team logo surrounding it is pretty sweet as well.


Here is Shawn at Busch. We agreed that this was the nicest of the 3 we went to on this trip. Plus we went to the arch after the game which was cool as well.

Busch Stadium
There are 10 small statues in front of the main gate, and while full size statues are sweet, these are very well done. I put together a collage of them. They are as follows L to R, 1st row- Enos Slaughter, Dizzy Dean, Ozzie Smith, Red Schoendienst, Stan Musial; 2nd row- Lou Brock, Bob Gibson,George Sisler, Rogers Hornsby, and James Bell. There is also a large statue of Stan Musial at the 3rd base gate. I guess he would be considered their greatest since he has 2 statues? Whats gonna happen when Albert retires, does he get 2?

Busch Stadium

Jack Buck has a statue on the first base side. He was an all time great announcer and deserves this. When are the Braves and Phils going to follow suit?
Busch Stadium

1 comment:

  1. I am making a non-commercial, educational study guide on how to memorize the Book of Galatians. I would like to use your composite picture of all the statues in front of Busch Stadium as one of the memory prompts. You can see what our study guides for Exodus look like here: http://www.readyanswers.org/PathfinderBibleExperience/Exodus/index.html May I please use the photo?

    Thanks for your consideration. Rochelle Houser

    ReplyDelete