BALLPARK HISTORY

Ballparks are full of history. They each have thier own distinct features, The bricks and ivy in Wrigley, monument park and the mystique of Yankee stadium, the warehouse at Camden, the green monster at Fenway, and more, but when you go to a park its more than to see the game, its to take in the environment. As much as I dislike it, part of going to Turner is listening to the fans do that tommohawk chant. I also enjoy seeing the statues or plaques of players who have contributed to all that history.

Each ballpark also gives you a different perspective of the game. What might be a HR at one park is just a fly ball in another. The site lines, angles and views of a game vary from park to park, even if your sitting in the same general area. Also the in game extras , like the mascot races, or singing the stretch at Wrigley, Sweet Caroline at Fenway, or the 7th inning God Bless America at Yankee stadium.

Another great thing about parks is visiting the local bar near the stadium. Harry Carays and Murphy's in Chicago, Pickles in Baltimore, Hockeytown Cafe in Detroit, Hooters in Anaheim, Rock Bottom Brewery in Denver (and Cinci), Harpoon Brewery in Boston, and Billys sports bar in the Bronx.

Friday, April 19, 2013

National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum

This isn't a ballpark obviously, but anyone who loves going to ballparks would love this. We decided to add this into the trip since we are going to have to make another trip to the NE again to complete the parks up there. I still have new Yankee and Shawn has Yankee, Citi and Nats park. I took about 250 pics here so I can't post them all, but I will post what I can. 


So as I was planning this, I wanted to see the HOF as a whole, but I also was looking forward to seeing the Cubs history there. There was plenty. Here is just a sample of the Cubs displays there. The best part about this is that this is all original. These are actual jerseys, gloves, bats, etc. that were worn and used by the players. 

Johnny Evers from the famed Tinker to Evers to Chance combo

 Mr Cub. Ernie Banks

Baseball Hall of Fame
Ferguson Jenkins. #31 

Baseball Hall of Fame
The other #31, Greg Maddux. 

Baseball Hall of Fame
 Ron Santo. 

There was a lot more there than Cubs stuff, and I guess I should show a little bit more. 

Baseball Hall of Fame
These are actual uniforms worn by the Womens league when they played. 

 Even the Cardinals displays were fun to look at, even for a Cubs fan. 
This is Stan "the man" Musial. 

Baseball Hall of Fame
This came from the actual field before it was torn down. If the rest of the park was in this condition, I guess it needed to be replaced. 

Baseball Hall of Fame
 I think if your reading this, you know who this is. 

Baseball Hall of Fame
 This was the bat rack from Yankee Stadium that was removed before the remodel in the late 70's.
This thing held bats from Babe, Gehrig, Joey D, Mickey, and more. WOW. 

Baseball Hall of Fame
 From Don Larsen's perfect game in the World Series. 

 There was a lot of Yankee displays, surprise. Although I am not a Yankee fan, I respect the history and 
tradition of the team. Shawn was loving it. Babe had his own room. This is just one pic from there.

Joe DiMaggio Display. 

I took a lot of pics of the plaques. I made a collage of the Cubs ones, and of some other all time greats.


Cubs Plaques

All time greats

Yankee Plaques

I have a lot more, but I can't post them all. I guess your gonna have to make a trip yourself someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment